Saturday, October 25, 2008

Carnivores! I have them!

At the start of the month, I planted a bunch of seeds I got in the mail. Tiny tiny seeds, and lots of them. These tiny seeds turned into tiny tiny plants about a week ago. LOTS of them. My, I feel like such a proud mommy.

The seeds were from a carnivorous plant called Cape sundew or Drosera capensis, supposedly a good beginner's carnivore. The little ones you see in the photo are about 1-2 mm tall (that's really, really small for you non-metrics). I have no idea how fast they will grow, but I can't wait for them to get big enough to take care of the small, but annoying fungus gnat problem.

Proper care of these includes constant wetness with as pure water as you can get and high humidity. In other words, completely different from my usual plant care routine (water when I happen to remember, maybe once or twice per month). I'm making a real effort this time though, and so far so good.

So be warned, fungus gnats! Your doom is getting closer every day!

2 comments:

My Inspired Reality said...

Wow, interesting. You have to keep us posted on the fate of the fungus gnats and also a photo of the plant once it is grown:):)

glasfaden said...

Oh, I didn't know, one can buy them as seed. Where did you get them? My boy wanted a plant, but I couldn't find any in the shops at the moment. Maybe I should wait till summer. I only want one, not a garden full of it ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...